Rochester, NY Senior Resources
- Administration On Aging. "AoA is the Federal focal point and advocate agency for older persons and their concerns. In this role, AoA works to heighten awareness among other Federal agencies, organizations, groups, and the public about the valuable contributions that older Americans make to the Nation and alerts them to the needs of vulnerable older people. Through information and referral and outreach efforts at the community level, AoA seeks to educate older people and their caregivers about the benefits and services available to help them."
- The Anthenaeum at RIT. "The Athenaeum is an organization run by and for men and women age 50 or older who seek continued intellectual challenges, networking opportunities, and social activities. Drawing on its own wealth of experience and talent, this community of self-learners plans and carries out educational experiences and social activities for its members..
The Athenaeum was founded in 1987 with the support of Rochester Institute of Technology and the dedicated work of the first Athenaeum members. On those sturdy foundations the organization flourishes, with a growing membership, convenient, comfortable facilities, and the continuing support of RIT.
But what makes this organization excel are its members. All Athenaeum programs are developed and led by Athenaeum members. The future of The Athenaeum will be charted by its members as well. Our Athenaeum Council provides the leadership to make the organization run smoothly.
When you join this organization, you become an integral part of an exciting and intellectual cooperative. You are also a part of the RIT community, with full access to such campus amenities as recreational, dining, library, and bookstore facilities. You need only glance at the array of courses described in our Course Schedule to see the diversity and depth of The Athenaeum's activities."
- SeniorNet Learning Center of Rochester. "The SeniorNet Learning Center of Rochester is a non-profit, volunteer organization dedicated to providing access to and education about computer technology and the internet to adults over 50 to enhance their lives and enable them to share their knowledge and wisdom. Courses are taught daily at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Rochester."
- Aging Parents and Elder Care. "Advice, comprehensive checklists, and links to key resources ... designed to make it easier for family caregivers to quickly find the information they need ... and avoid missing things that are important in the care of their loved one."
- Alzheimer's Association of Rochester, NY. "The Alzheimer's Association of Rochester, NY is a human service organization that assists and comforts people with Alzheimer's disease, their families and caregivers. Established in 1981 and dedicated to providing comfort, guidance and support to thousands, we cover a nine-county region including Chemung, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne, and Yates counties."
- CareGuide.com. "CareGuide is a care management company dedicated to helping people lead more comfortable, secure and independent lives. Since 1996, CareGuide has empowered families by providing them with personalized solutions and support in the daily process of caregiving."
- Catholic Family Center Elder Services. "Our focus is simple. We help older persons maintain a safe and dignified independence in their own homes, for as long as they are able.
We do this through a wide range of comprehensive, community-based services, and through the caring commitment of our professional staff and volunteers.
We believe that aging well is a right we all have, and our staff of specialists and committed volunteers work hard every day to ensure all our clients are treated with the dignity they deserve."
- Comprehensive Solutions for Seniors, LLC. "Comprehensive Solutions for Seniors is your advocate for the best in senior / elder care management across the spectrum of social, financial, health, legal, and practical issues."
- Eldersource. "Eldersource Care Management Services is a legal joint venture of Catholic Family Center and LIFESPAN. This program has served Monroe County residents since 1995 by providing a single access point for obtaining information, guidance and care management services for older adults and their caregivers. Eldersource is staffed by social workers with expertise in the field of geriatrics."
- Greater Rochester Area Partnership for the Elderly. "GRAPE is an organization of professionals and interested persons who aspire to improve the quality of services for older people.
GRAPE colorfully refers to the Greater Rochester Area Partnership for the Elderly. We are an association that is dedicated to facilitating the needed services for older persons through education, networking, and advocacy.
GRAPE is a not-for-profit organization whose membership consists of professionals, volunteers, students, and other interested persons serving the older adult population in the Greater Rochester Area. GRAPE links service providers, facilitates professional education, fosters collaboration among a variety of professionals, and promotes positive attitudes about aging."
- Lifespan. "LIFESPAN is a comprehensive resource in the Rochester community whose sole purpose is to enhance the quality of life for those in the second half of life. We provide many direct services, we advocate and we guide. We also provide community and professional education."
- Mercy Center with the Aging. 585-244-5190.
- National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers. "GCM is a non-profit, professional organization of practitioners whose goal is the advancement of dignified care for the elderly and their families. With more than 1,500 members, GCM is committed to maximizing the independence and autonomy of elders while striving to ensure that the highest quality and most cost-effective health and human services are used when and where appropriate.
- New York State Association of Area Agencies on Aging (NYSAAA). "Providing a collective forum for leadership which creates an environment enabling New York State's aging population to determine its own destiny in a positive and productive manner."
- National PACE Association. "Programs of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) provide and coordinate all needed preventive, primary, acute and long term care services so that older individuals can continue living in the community." Pace Eldercare Links.
- Pioneer Network. "We are a network of people dedicated to supporting elders and those who work with them. We are elders, family members, administrators, nurses, certified nursing assistants, resident assistants, physicians, social workers, educators, researchers, ombudsmen, advocates, regulators and architects. We are creating a better culture in all settings where elders live, with the intention of building loving, elder-directed communities.
We call our collective work culture change, the transformation of traditional institutions and practices into communities in which each person's capacities and individuality are affirmed and developed. Culture change has been shown to transform demoralized, dispirited staff into productive teams and dispirited, isolated elders into active members of engaged communities."
New York State
- Rochester Area Association of Homes & Services for the Aging, Inc. (RAHSA). "Senior housing refers to any housing designed to accommodate the needs or preferences of senior citizens. These may include independent living, enriched living, or assisted living situations. Supportive services may be available, such as housekeeping, transportation, activities, meals and emergency call/security systems.
Senior housing choices in the Rochester area feature a wide range of levels of service. Some senior communities offer higher levels of service included in monthly fees, while others provide a minimum level, with services available on an ala carte basis. Independent living often includes a meal plan and housekeeping, while enriched and assisted living programs may also incorporate personal care and assistance with daily living activities. Financial arrangements may be rental buy-in or life-care plans. Listed here are RAHSA members who provide senior housing."
- Monroe County Senior Centers. A directory of twenty-nine senior programs located throughout Monroe County serve residents age 60 and over. All offer a nutritious meal and many have a complete calendar of recreational, cultural, educational, health and social services programs. Transportation services are available at many programs. There are several meal programs available for mature adults in Monroe County.
- Senior Corps. A service that provides companions for seniors.